The lily is native to China and Japan. Lilies held a role in ancient mythology, so perfect they were thought to come from the heavens and because of this, have been under cultivation longer than any other ornamental flower, existing in the gardens of the Himalayas over 3,000 years ago. It is a beautiful flower ranked as the fourth most popular flower across the globe! Lily flowers appear in wide array of colors ranging from white to yellow, pink, orange, and red. The flowers may be borne upright, horizontal, or drooping, and can be funnel-shaped to bell-shaped. Lilies are not only used for decoration; the oil extracted from them has healing and softening properties. Lilies are toxic to cats, if ingested.
Care and Handling
- Leaves can yellow due to low temperature or excess sugar in vase solution.
- Some markets sell an anti-yellowing solution that can be beneficial.
- It is recommended you remove the pollen to avoid staining your clothes and carpet.
- Slant the cut stems at a 45-degree angle and remove the leaves that fall beneath the water line, as they will start deteriorate.
- Lily flowers have a vase life of 7 to 14 days if given the proper treatment.
- Choose lilies with buds that are just about to open with a bit of color showing.
- Lilies are available all year round. Shop Lilies on Plantshed.com.
|Symbolism:||Celebration, Ambition, Enthusiasm|
|Blooming Season:||Spring, Summer|
|Average Life:||7-14 Days|